The Chair attended the CCÉ North American Province convention in Parsippany, NJ in April.
Highlights of the Provincial meeting:
- Sarah Johnson (MO) new Irish Language Officer for the Province
- On-line version of Treoir will be available in two years
- Canada has to become a province first, before it can make proposal for funding
- Meitheal money is available for a wide range of community development activities
- Glór nan Gael also another very good source of funding
- Strongly encouraged by out-going president of CCÉ, Vincent Jordan, to make the case, produce a business proposal requesting that Canada form its own province
- There is a recognition that Canada has a different history and different connection to Ireland that the US
- Ireland would support a request from Canada to form its province
- Ireland cannot commit money until we make the first move and provide them with a business case for why we need to be our own province
- The Canadian delegation asked that part of its start-up funding, Canada should request and be given a % of the ‘investment’ that Canada has already made to the North American Province over the last 30 or so years.
Respectfully submitted, Cathaoirleach